Blog > Education > January Newsletter
Monday, January 13, 2020
Back To List
Monday, January 13, 2020
Para español haz clic aquí.
Dear Friends of Mayan Families,
Around the world, the start of a new year brings new hopes, expectations, and dreams for the year to come.
For children in Guatemala, this feeling is amplified by the fact that January also marks the start of the new school year. For the students receiving support through our Sponsorship Program, the start of a new school year is full of the promise of exciting possibilities - to meet new teachers, make new friends, take new courses, and maybe even change schools as our students move between preschool to elementary, elementary to middle school, and beyond.
Through our Education programs, we are committed to supporting our students in pursuing their dreams and helping ensure that all of the hopes they have for the new school year come to fruition, year after year.
Thank you for partnering with us to do this crucial work. We’d like to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2020, and want to specifically wish our students a positive and productive new school year!
Edgar & the Education Team
FIRST THINGS FIRST - SCHOOL SUPPLIES!
Coming fresh off of our holiday break, we got right back into the swing of things as we welcomed our students into our offices to sign contracts for the new school year, receive vouchers for their uniforms and school fees, and most excitingly, get their school supplies for the year!
This process is always fun for us and our students, as it is the first action we take as an organization to bolster the enthusiasm and hope our students have for the new year. In February, students will receive their new shoes, and then later in the spring, sponsors can expect an update with photos of their students, as well as a letter from them about their first few months of school!
AMPLIFYING OUR IMPACT - EDUCATION PROGRAM CHANGES IN 2020
We are so excited to finally share the changes we worked so hard to prepare last year for our Education Programs! Key highlights and things to look forward to in 2020 include:
- Increasing the number of communities and preschool students we serve by re-opening 2 new preschools in El Tablón (formerly El Barranco) and San Antonio Palopo, bringing us to a total of 4.
- Strengthening the curriculum for our preschools to match more closely to the national curriculum, to ensure that our preschoolers are well prepared for the transition to the public school system afterwards.
- Creating a stronger integration with our Education and Nutrition & Health programs by collaboratively revamping our approach to providing nutritional support to our preschoolers.
- Going into the communities to receive grades, take student photos, and write letters to sponsors, in order to improve our communications and relationships with our beneficiaries.
- Expanding our Tutoring Program in Panajachel and Tierra Linda to include support for middle school students.
- Providing community service opportunities with Mayan Families for our sponsored students, so they can fulfill their community service requirement and learn new skills, while directly impacting their own communities.
EVENTS & NEWS
- It was incredible to come back into the office after the holidays and see all of the generous donations we received in the final days of the year! It is amazing to be able to put these dollars to work right away in 2020, and we cannot thank you enough for your generosity.
- Next month, we’ll be opening spots for our Summer Experience, which is a one week trip we host each year where you’ll get to visit us here in Guatemala, meet our incredible beneficiaries and staff, and see firsthand the impact of our work. Please reach out to email@example.com if you’d like to learn more, or if you are curious about arranging a visit in general!
- On December 20th, we emailed all donors notifying them that our Tax Status in the U.S. had been placed on hold (please see the original email here to learn more). Unfortunately, we are currently waiting to hear from the IRS about when we can expect our status to be reinstated. We will continue to keep all donors up to date as any news comes through, and hope that this will be resolved shortly!
- If you are a sponsor who gives on a yearly basis and has not yet renewed your sponsorship for 2020, we encourage you to do so here.