Friday, December 20, 2019
Important Mayan Families Update
Dear Friends of Mayan Families,
Of all the work we have done this year to rebuild Mayan Families strongly under the new administration, one of the most tedious tasks has been working with the United States Internal Revenue Service to file our 990s, the tax filing document for non-profits, for the years 2016, 2017, and 2018.
The forms had not been filed under former leadership (which put our non-profit status at risk), and we are happy to share that in the last few weeks, we were able to submit these documents.
However, as an unanticipated result of this submission, the IRS has placed our 501(c)(3) status on hold while they review our filings. This is a temporary, administrative, and strangely common issue that we are assured by numerous experts and IRS officials will be resolved quickly.
In the meantime, we have been hard at work to ensure that all of the donations made this year, and up until our status is reinstated, are covered and tax-deductible for our donors.
Here are key steps we have taken:
- Applied for an expedited approval process with the IRS - If our filing is expedited, it would mean reinstatement of our 501(c)(3) status as early as January 15th. Once reinstated, all donations made during the temporary suspension will be retroactively qualified as tax deductible.
- Arranged a fiscal sponsor - Today, December 20th, we signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the organization Vision y Compromiso that legally recognizes them as our Fiscal Sponsor.
What this means for our donors based in the United States for End of Year giving:
- If you do not itemize deductions, you are able to give as usual and all donations will be tax-deductible when our status is reinstated.
- If you do itemize deductions, all donations will need to be made to Mayan Families via Vision y Compromiso until our status is reinstated. To give an End of Year donation, please do so via their PayPal or by writing them a check to Visión y Compromiso Finance Department, PO Box 708, San Lorenzo, CA 94580. Please be sure to designate the donation in the comments!
- If you were planning to receive an employer match for your donation, or make your donation through donor advised funds, you will be able to do so via Vision y Compromiso as well, by using their name and EIN Number, which is 32-0071651.
If you’d like to read more about how this may or may not affect the tax status of your 2019 donations, please see this FAQ.
We appreciate all of your support and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please reach out to our team at email@example.com. While our office will be closing after Friday, December 20th for the holidays, we will have a staff member covering incoming email between then and the new year. While we cannot offer tax advice, we are happy to address any questions you may have about this situation.
Our Board warmly thanks you for your support during this year of transition, especially as we work through this last little bump in the road before we close out 2019.
We assure you that we will continue to steadfastly and lovingly oversee the work of Mayan Families in the new year, and we thank you for your faith in Mayan Families and for your care for our partner communities.
With Deep Gratitude,
The Mayan Families Board of Directors